Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bless her Soul

The other day upon further investigation.


Troubled by the unusual behavior of Ginger jumping into the apple tree, Larry had Wednesday , with sunlight to look for tracks around the apple tree. There were no signs of coyotes, or dogs. Neighbors often ride past yet no fresh horse tracks of any kind to be found. There were however plenty of chicken tracks leading to some weeds and brush near the tree. Further investigation revealed the remains of a rattle snake. All that remained of the Mojave Green was his head;soft skin;rattles. Apparently the chickens had taken care of the rest. Ginger probably didn't know she had tromped the fellow before she panicked into the apple tree.

I have never seen a live Mojave Green on the LMA, although I have spotted them a few miles away. This is beautiful country, the Mojave Desert is vast, rugged and hot much of the year. A creature has to be tough to survive out there, this one met a mustang. To really appreciate the Mojave one must spend time in it, there are other places I enjoy for what they offer, yet for some reason I have spent most of my life out here.

I am happy to report Ginger will not have much of a mark from the ordeal, some good old fashion horse salve dried the wound up, and sealed it. She didn't lose any hair to speak of. Jackie Jo was glad to see her pal back in the big arena, letting Ginger know she would be there to help her out.

Getting dark earlier, and cooler, guess I'll go start the fire up and have a cold one.

Mikey.

2 comments:

Kathleen Lee said...

Sure is nice to know the whole story, Mike. The desert can be a dangerous place, but it has it's own unique beauty. I've always loved it.

Ruthless said...

I don't walk out of the door without looking for creepy crawly things. I limit my walking to daylight hours only, better safe than sorry, but, like you I love the desert.

Mom