Wednesday, November 5, 2008

That Darn Tractor

Let's see, where was I before I was so rudely interrupted two weeks ago?

Oh yeah that darn tractor. Better check it out. Having called a local mechanic or two and getting little interest in my plight, it seemed to me that I should be able to get this thing to run with a little TLC and common sense. As it happened one of the locals, Brian, came by for a social visit since the wind was making things too difficult for him as a tree trimmer. As he explained when you make a cut don't let the wind dictate where the fall is going. Seems I am getting quite an education on trees recently.

After a few minutes greetings and looking at the tractor we starting testing different components of the system, cleaning as much as we could, looking for spark,fuel things of that nature, we got the tractor running by priming it. This resulted in the conclusion that the carburetor would require more attention(at a later date) by a mechanic.

Brian spent most of his 50+ years logging and cutting firewood in Arizona. Much of the time we share stories about the places we each have visited in Arizona. Often times this goes to places where he cut wood and at sometime I was there following the rodeo. Brian did pretty well at some of the lumberjack rodeos down there for many years. He explained to me at one point he won Payson's log cutting competition which included a personal 16 hour class by factory engineers explaining the detailed workings of chain saws. I just happen to have some very hard chunks of tree right over here Brian, that are too hard for me. Yes sir this took some of the disappointment out of that tractor. The saw he had with him wasn't the perfect saw for the job, so he offered to come back the next day with his large saw.


Upon arrival with his new saw we started in on the chunks of wood, I was given step by step tutoring in chainsaw safety; design;speeds; and characteristics of many various trees. The stumps were Mulberry noted by the smell while cutting. I could tell this would supply some long winded conversations around the fire this season. Aromatic too! It's November now cool tempuratures, breezes, early sunsets seems like the perfect time to start a fire.


See you there------Mikey