Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dust Bowl Legacy

.

.Sorry, no photos.

.Recently my sister informed me of a family Reunion,her and Aunt Eileen have planned for the Murphy's. My mind went back to my earliest memories of the family I was born into. It seems to me that for some reason I have been forced into quite a few Multi Million Mile reflections lately. OK, here I would like to remember my Grand Father as I remember him. (Grandma would take more space than the Internet has.)

.What was the last conversation I had with Grandpa?--- What do you want Mike?---- Nothing Grandpa, I just wanted to know what you think, a conversation with you. answer---Mike, I don't think anything anymore, I don't have anything to think with.

.I thought he was just dismissing me, until I found out they had buried him a couple of months ago.


.
Yes we all have memories, that one is not my favorite. My favorite's are about how he brought his family out of the "Dust Bowl" to Idaho and made a future for his family. No excuses, no snivelling, and "God Help You" if you piss Grandma off. Fidelity to the family has aways run deep in our family. Rising out of survival, and self determination, do it or starve. I believe that Ideology made the family what it is. We had no other choice, no one owes you anything. Just use your brain and get by.

.
Should anyone look at the children coming to our reunion I hope they remember the people who brought us here first. These children we have been Blessed with will absolutely make their forebear's proud!

.Some are far enough along now they have their own problems. Life will test us all. These are decent people that my parents can be proud of, sorry I woke up one day and realized " i am not worthy", really.

.My fondest memories include stories of Grandpa's garden. That was serious business there. The fastest way to his S-list was to step on one of his vines. This is here for a reason, respect the garden, you might need it someday. This is not a hobby.

.Oh I am looking so forward to A FAMILY reunion.


.God were those tomatoes good!


.Just my take on things.


Going to the fire place now----no fire yet---but OK!----m.


.
PS-------As always----walk in Love----m.

2 comments:

Kathleen Lee said...

I hope you write some more like this. I don't have many memories of them...Thank you and YOU ARE SO WORTHY!

Barbara said...

I'm sure your grandpa would get a kick out of how you described his strong spirit and determination working hard to provide for his family no matter what it took! Sounds like he chose a woman, your grandma who matched him in his pursuit to survive the difficulties of life in that era!
You are following in their footsteps as with diligence you strove to follow your dream of owning a ranch with horses! Don't diminish what you have achieved-or yourself!